Look out for these common cat toxins that may pose a risk to your feline friends at this time of year:

  • Flowers (particularly lillies): all parts of the plant are toxic and cause kidney damage if ingested. Even simply brushing up against the flowers and then grooming themselves can cause accidental ingestion and may be fatal to your cat.

  • Chocolate: caffeine and theobromine found in chocolate is toxic to felines.

  • Antifreeze (ethylene glycol): this is one of the most common poisonings seen in cats. Antifreeze is found in coolant, screen wash and brake fluid and even small amounts can be fatal when ingested by your cat. Ensure all lids are on solutions tightly and any spills are promptly cleaned up.

  • Paracetamol: although it may help our pounding headaches and stinking hangovers, cats livers lack the ability to metabolise paracetamol, and instead it can cause issues in the blood, starving the body of oxygen and resulting in anaemia.

  • Disinfectants and cleaners: these can get onto cats paws and be ingested accidentally when our furry friends grrom themselves. Ingestion of these products can cause ulcers in the mouth, drooling, hyperhtermia and seizures.

  • Permethrin: this is an ingredient found in some flea treatments for dogs and toxication can occur through accidental administration to our cats, especially in multipet households. Before administering any treatment to your pets, always check it is suitable.

If you are concerned that your cat may have ingested something toxic, contact your veterinary practice immediately, as the quicker the treatment can be administered, the better the chances of survival for your furbaby.